Cooking: Cooking is the number one cause of home fires. Never leave
any cooking unattended, and exercise caution not to spill grease or other
flammables on the stove. Note: we actually had a tenant who left the house
while eggs were boiling on the stove. Fortunately, although the apartment was
filled with smoke, the stove was turned off in time!
Candles: Candles are also a common source of home fires. If you use
them, be sure to place them on a nonflammable container and make sure the
container is on a stable surface. Do not leave candles unattended and do
not leave them burning overnight.
Cigarettes: This is a well known fire hazard. Use common sense when
smoking cigarettes or any other type of smokable substance.
Our policy is to have each unit supplied with a smoke/carbon monoxide detector
and fire extinguisher. Let us know if these items are lacking. Also please
have patience with false alarms, most alarms have a button that can silence
the alarm until the cause of the false alarm is eliminated. If the cause of
the false alarm is dead batteries or faulty alarm, we can supply
batteries or replace the alarms.
Keep things secured: Lock doors and windows when you are gone, and avoid
leaving the garage door open unattended. We are aware of at least 2 incidents
where an expensive bicycle was stolen right from an open garage, one in broad
daylight (one was from the owner's home!). If you keep bikes outside make
sure they are locked up, preferrably in a lighted area. Keep car doors
locked and the windows rolled up
Stay reasonably cautious with strangers: Be aware of any strangers in
the vicinity of your home/complex. Avoid inviting strangers over during social
activities. If you have roommates, exercise care with both your own guests
and your roommate's guests.
Renters Insurance: We strongly encourage all our tenants to purchase renters
insurance if you have any items of value that could be stolen or damaged.